West Palm Beach Insurance Fraud Attorney
Florida’s Division of Insurance Fraud is responsible for investigating suspected insurance fraud in the state. Each year, detective review more than 10,000 allegations of insurance fraud and aggressively prosecute violators. If you have been accused of fraud, you need a West Palm Beach insurance fraud attorney by your side. The sooner you act, the more options you will have for aggressively fighting the charges.
Insurance Fraud in Florida
Insurance fraud takes many shapes, but at base each case involves dishonestly trying to obtain payment from an insurance company. Fraudulent practices are defined in Florida Statute § 817.234 and can include the following:
- Presenting a written or oral statement that contains a false, incomplete, or misleading statement
- Preparing or making a statement that knowingly contains a false, misleading, or incomplete fact
- Knowingly concealing information related to a material fact
- Systematically upcoding when you bill
If you suspect that you are investigated for submitting fraudulent information to an insurance company, you should meet as soon as possible with an insurance fraud attorney at the Skier Law Firm.
Florida law takes insurance fraud seriously and allows for significant penalties. Generally, the penalty will depend on the amount of money involved in the fraud:
- If the value is less than $20,000, then you can be convicted of a felony in the third degree. You can be fined up to $5,000 and spend up to 5 years in prison.
- If the property is valued at least $20,000 but less than $100,000, then you can be convicted of a felony in the second degree. You can be fined up to $10,000 and spend up to 15 years in jail.
- If the property is valued at $100,000 or more, then you can be convicted of a felony in the first degree. You can be fined up to $10,000 and spend up to 30 years in jail.
All convicted felons face the possibility of losing their medical licenses, which can make it impossible for our clients to support themselves and their families in the future. To protect yourself, you need to contact an attorney before making any statements to investigators. Anything you say could come back to haunt you later.
Special Penalties for Fraud Involving Car Insurance
If you are convicted of fraud in relation to someone obtaining personal injury protection (PIP) benefits after a car accident, you will also suffer the following additional punishments:
- Loss of license for five years
- Inability to receive reimbursement for PIP benefits for 10 years
Contact an Experienced Insurance Fraud Attorney in West Palm Beach
After being accused of fraud, you might be confused about what to say or do. Investigators might have seized your hard drives or scheduled you to come in and talk with them. With so much hanging in the balance, you need to plan your defense accordingly.
At the Skier Law Firm, we are experienced insurance fraud attorneys who understand the types of evidence needed to defend yourself, and we work tirelessly on behalf of our clients. To set up an initial, free consultation, please contact us today by calling 561-820-1508.