West Palm Beach Federal Crime Attorney
Proven success in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
If you face federal criminal charges, you can expect a much greater level of scrutiny and a lengthier sentence than if you were arrested for a state crime. A more thorough investigation by federal agents and a more professional prosecution from handpicked and extensively trained U.S. attorneys are inevitable. To seek a favorable result, you need experienced legal counsel with in-depth knowledge. At The Skier Law Firm, P.A., West Palm Beach federal crime attorney, Scott Skier, has more than 10 years of criminal trial experience, including tough cases argued in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Our firm is equipped to counsel you on your best options, negotiate more favorable terms or take your case to trial, if necessary.
What makes a crime a federal offense?
Under our system of federalism, most criminal offenses are state crimes. However, there are several reasons a crime may be considered a federal offense:
- Criminal activity crosses state lines — The U.S. Constitution grants the federal government jurisdiction over interstate activity. Drug trafficking, human trafficking and kidnapping are federal crimes if the activity crosses state lines.
- Crime occurs on federal property — The federal government has jurisdiction over its buildings, military facilities, highways and national parks.
- Offense is committed against a federal officer — U.S. Code Title 18 protects officers and employees of the federal government during the performance of their duties.
- Perpetrator used a federal instrument — Using the U.S. Postal Service to defraud or to deliver a lethal device is a federal crime.
- Offense is committed against a federal agency or violates a federal regulation or statute — Federal agencies, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Internal Revenue Service, create regulations and have enforcement powers.
Common violations of federal law include narcotics trafficking, economic crimes, internet child pornography and racketeering (RICO).
What does it take to succeed in federal court?
Federal charges have the weight of investigative agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Drug Enforcement Administration, behind them. Federal cases move at a quicker pace with a shorter discovery period. There are no depositions, and obtaining a pretrial release is much more difficult. All this can hamper the defense team’s investigation, making it even more vital that you hire a criminal defense lawyer who is familiar with the rules specific to the Southern District and with the assistant U.S. attorneys, federal magistrates and judges. The Skier Law Firm is active in the Southern District and has the respect of the court’s personnel.
Federal cases tend to be complex and require an attorney who knows every statute, rule and regulation, not to mention every detail of the case. Our court record demonstrates our firm’s ability to quickly process vast amounts of information, get to the heart of a case and construct a viable defense.
Get dedication and preparation that yield positive results in West Palm Beach federal criminal cases
If you suspect you are the target of a federal investigation, you need West Palm Beach federal crime attorneys with dedication, knowledge and skill. Contact The Skier Law Firm, P.A. at 561-820-1508 or contact our office online to schedule your free consultation. We serve Palm Beach County, Martin County, Broward County, Dade County and the surrounding areas.