West Palm Beach DUI Defense Attorneys Fighting for Your Rights
Defending you after a drunk driving arrest in Florida
Being convicted of driving while under the influence (DUI) comes with major consequences, including heavy fines, prison time and license suspension. That is why it is essential that you are represented by a West Palm Beach DUI defense attorney with the skill, tenacity and experience to get your charges reduced or dropped. Trust attorney Scott Skier of The Skier Law Firm, P.A. to vigorously defend you after a West Palm Beach drunk driving charge. I am an experienced criminal defense attorney prepared to fight against the most serious Florida DUI charges.
What are some defenses to a DUI charge?
Florida takes DUI offenses seriously, and the potential penalties reflect that. With the help of a knowledgeable lawyer, you may be able to get your charges dropped or reduced. In order to convict you, the prosecution must prove that you were driving, that you were under the influence and that you were intoxicated enough that your normal faculties were impaired. Your defense attorney must prove that at least one of these allegations is false or that there was a problem during the arrest itself. Some common defenses I use include:
- You weren’t actually driving. If a police officer did not actually see you driving, you may have grounds for dismissal. For example, if the officer arrested you while you were sitting behind the wheel of a parked car, it cannot be proven that you had been driving drunk.
- You weren’t drunk. If the field sobriety or Breathalyzer tests were not properly administered, the results may not be conclusive and could be thrown out.
- There was no probable cause. If the officer did not have probable cause to pull you over or arrest you, you may be able to fight the charges.
- The officer didn’t read your Miranda rights. If a police officer does not read you your Miranda rights or recites them incorrectly, you can use this to benefit your case.
You can also use an affirmative defense, meaning that you admit to driving while intoxicated but you could not avoid driving for a legitimate reason. These reasons include:
- Necessity. You knew you should not drive, but you had to drive for a serious and legitimate reason.
- Duress. You felt that the only way to avoid injury or death was to drive.
- Entrapment. A police officer told you to drive, even though they knew you were intoxicated.
- Mistake of fact. You honestly did not know that you were intoxicated.
- Involuntary intoxication. You did not know that you had consumed alcohol.
I understand what defense to use for each client and have extensive knowledge of the Florida criminal justice system. Whether you are being charged with your first DUI or a felony DUI, I will do everything I can to defend you.
Contact a West Palm Beach DUI defense attorney today
After an arrest for a DUI, you deserve to be represented by an attorney who understands how to defend you. Call The Skier Law Firm, P.A. at 561-820-1508 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation at our West Palm Beach, Florida office.